Spearfishing is a pretty physical sport, complete with lots of gear. Blaine wears the following when spearfishing: a wetsuit, a hood, gloves, booties, fins, a mask, a snorkel, a knife, he carries a spear gun, and he also has attached to him a float with a dive flag. Why the float with a dive flag, you may ask? Because spearfishing is all about taking a deep breath, diving down to anywhere between 30 and 60 feet, stalking a fish, spearing that fish, and bringing it back to the surface. The flag lets boats know that you're there so that you don't get hit. Boats? Yes, Blaine swims out 100-200 yards into the ocean to do all of this. I went with him one time...when I couldn't see the bottom anymore, I decided it would be the last time. I am still extremely afraid of sharks...thanks to watching Jaws when I was a kid. Did I mention that he strings whatever he catches to that float right above him? It kind of looks like shark bait, if you ask me. But he loves it, and I love it when he comes home safely!
Last Saturday, Blaine brought home four trigger fish and two octopi. We found out very quickly that a few fish and some octopi tend to attract every kid from the block to our house. The kids were all so amazed and had a blast squeezing the ink out of the octopi. It made for a messy, but fun, afternoon!
I haven't actually captured on camera Blaine decked out in his full spearfishing gear yet...but, you can rest assured that as soon as I do, it will be posted here for your viewing pleasure and for a good laugh!
Side note: You can see our beautiful plumeria trees and our back patio in the pictures posted here. More pictures of the house coming soon...STILL organizing and unpacking!!
4 comments:
that is AWESOME!!! Please post more pictures...I love them!
Wow! That sounds like something I would NEVER do! Hahaha
I can see Aiden standing with Blaine asking him a million questions..including can I go with you next time?!
More pictures of the house please. Glad to see you both are enjoying it and that Blaine has so many Saturdays off!
I'm so proud of Blaine bringing home the bacon or fish?? Just wondering when you will join us in Facebook???
Yeah, this is an awesome place to live for someone who doesn't eat fish...or any other water creature for that matter. ;) Maybe I will acquire a taste while here and can enjoy the food Blaine brings home. As far as Facebook goes, we're still undecided on the matter. It does get tempting at times, knowing everyone else is on there! Maybe someday... :) Hope all is well in CA!
Post a Comment