I wasn't too excited about my birthday this year...besides entering the LAST year of my twenties, I just don't know many people here well enough yet to think they would want to share my birthday with me. I really thought I'd spend the day alone, waiting for Blaine to get home from work. I was also a little sad not having my mom here to bake a cake, like she always does for all of us on our birthdays. I had to make my own cake. :( Pitiful, I know! You'll see from the pictures that I decorated it with an exciting "29"...I just couldn't write out "Happy Birthday" to myself!
My morning was filled with phone calls and texts from dear friends and family from the mainland, which was a great start to my day. I talked to my family through Skype, so I got to "see" them on my birthday, which was great. Blaine also surprised me with my birthday gift (a Shark steam mop that I've been eyeing for some time now)...well, I surprised HIM when he walked through the door at 8 a.m., carrying an unwrapped gift ;)! Thanks, sweetie!!
My sweet friend, Elizabeth, treated me to lunch at the Sand Bar and Grill (located on the beach here at Hickam AFB). We had Mai tais with our food and then laid out on the beach to get some sun! It was great...thanks so much, Elizabeth, for spending the afternoon with me!
So, Blaine plays on an intramural softball team here on base and had a game on my birthday. I have to admit, I was a little bummed that he was going to play softball instead of taking me out to dinner and having a "normal" birthday evening, even though I really do enjoy the games and hanging out with the other wives. Right before we rushed out the door to his game, we decided to cut the cake so that our neighbor, Jewlee, and her kids could help us eat it! They were so sweet and excited about the "birthday party"...they sang 'Happy Birthday", helped me blow out the candles, and knew exactly how to remove the candles...making sure to "clean" each candle of it's icing. ;) Thanks for the help, Jake, Brodie, and GiGi!! And thanks, Jewlee, for the super-adorable bracelet!
Blowing out ALL of those candles!
Eager to help remove the candles so that we can cut into the cake!
As we showed up to Blaine's softball game, the girls yelled "Happy Birthday!" I was a little confused and surprised that they knew it was my birthday. Right away, I noticed the dugout was different...the girls had coolers of beer, they bought a birthday lei for me, AND baked me a birthday cake!!! It was all I could do to contain myself and keep from crying! I asked them how they knew...Blaine had told one of the girls' husbands and they all got together and did all of this for me in less than a day. I couldn't get over their thoughtfulness! It was so sweet!! Thanks so much, Elisha and Linsey, for going out of your way to make my birthday so special! The guys won their game :) and some of us went out for Mexican food afterwards. It was so yummy and the perfect end to an awesome day!
Linsey, Elisha, and Erin helping me celebrate!
The birthday cake! Victim to the heat, yes...but OH SO YUMMY!
Thanks to everyone's kind hearts and generosity for making my 29th birthday more awesome than I ever imagined! I am always blown away with just how blessed I am with amazing family and friends!! Y'all are the best!
7 comments:
So happy you had such a wonderful birthday - especially since you weren't expecting it!! And Happy Belated Birthday from Howdy and I!! We miss you guys!
Thanks, Michelle! To be quite honest, I felt really guilty, and even hesitated, writing about that with everything going on there with you guys. Please know you all are still in our thoughts and prayers. Miss you guys, too. Hope to make it to see you sometime soon!
Don't worry we will ring in your big 3-0 with a blowout party! Steve's was yesterday so we can have a joint adventure party! Miss you guys and can't wait to get there!
Happy birthday, Jen! How wonderful for your new friends to help make your day special! We miss you and Blaine. Hope our paths cross again soon!
Yea for happy Birthdays! You did a fabulous job with the cake! And I love your hair curly. :) Glad you enjoyed your special day.
I wish I were up on reading from my blogs list otherwise I would have wished you a happy birthday earlier. I hope it was grand, looked like a great time...don't fret about 29 it isn't bad and neither is 30!
Happy belated Birthday!!! You are missed here in Charleston!
Post a Comment