Monday, December 29, 2008

A Charleston Christmas

This Christmas, we had my family come to us for the first time. With Blaine's upcoming deployment, this seemed to be the easiest way to enjoy the holidays as a family, without the extra stress of traveling! Before I go there, let me first share our wonderful Christmas experience with you...

My family has always done an excellent job in making our home so cozy during the holidays..everything from the decorations, tree, and music, to the lit candles and all of the yummy food! Now that they were coming here, I had to do the same. I started decorating right after Thanksgiving. Blaine insists that we have a real tree every year, so I made him go with me to get one the night before he returned to Oklahoma for the rest of his training. I just couldn't wait another week to have my tree!! I really enjoyed decorating the tree and I even made a wreath out of the trimmings. My natural wreath led me to crave more natural decorations..and to my delight, I realized that you can buy real garland! Forty feet of real fraser fir garland later..and MANY trips to Lowe's and Michael's..I was very pleased with all of my hard work.

Once my family arrived, we attempted to tackle my never-ending list of activities. We went to Boone Hall Plantation while they were here..so beautiful at Christmas! Every room in the house is decorated with such detail..and I got some more ideas for my house next year. It was a bit cold, but we really enjoyed the tour. I can see why this particular plantation is the most photographed in the nation!

After an afternoon at the plantation, we indulged in the Festival of Lights at James Island County Park. We were very impressed! For all of my Texas friends..it's kind of like Zilker Park's Trail of Lights, only you drive through it instead of walk. The lights were great with many representations of what makes South Carolina so unique. I particularly loved these palm trees on the water!

We decided to open gifts on Christmas morning this year; we usually do them on Christmas Eve in
Texas. Christmas morning was full of surprises and brought back memories of Christmases when we were younger. "Santa" always leaves goodies in our stockings, and this year, "Santa" surprised Mom and Dad with stockings of their own. While sipping our coffee, we took turns opening our gifts from one another. Everyone is always excited about their own "pile", but it never compares to seeing the reactions of those who open the gifts from you. That's my favorite part!
Please excuse our "bedhead"..I just thought these pictures really captured our excitement on Christmas morning! Oh, and Blaze and Holly love their new bed and treats that "Santa" left in their stocking. Not sure they really care for their new oral care products, though!
After presents, the women started working on Christmas dinner. We made a turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, noodles, rolls, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie. Our sweet friends, Jamil and DeDe, along with their precious baby boy, Gabriel, joined us for Christmas dinner. They brought a delicious caramel and chocolate apple..it was gone fast! So yummy! Blaine made some great wassail, a hot spiced wine that tastes like cider. Blaine also carved the turkey..which was cooked to perfection. The meal turned out great..that's usually what you get with a kitchen full of German women!!
The days between Christmas and "deployment day" were spent shopping and getting Blaine packed and ready to go. As if this time of year weren't busy enough!! We were very thankful to spend Christmas together, along with family, although it was a little bittersweet knowing what was soon to come. Blaine and I said our "goodbyes", alongside many more families who may feel Christmas ended too soon, as well. This deployment will be similar to what we've experienced before..please keep Blaine and the rest of our squadron in your thoughts and prayers. Blessings to you all as we enter a new year..you are the amazing family and friends that make us the Bakers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't really get a chance to say hi to you today, but I'm glad you had such a wonderful Christmas with your family! And here's hoping the next few months go by fast!

Michelle said...

Sounds like you had a great time with your fam and Blaine! Here's to a speedy few months!

Adam and Shalisa said...

So glad you could spend Christmas with Blaine and your family. You both will be in our thoughts and prayers...