Sunday, January 31, 2010

So there IS more...

Because I like to begin my posts with pictures, I share with you a sunset on the North Shore...this is how we spent Valentine's Day. I'm sure there will be many more of these to share with you in the future. A little random, but I just had to share...

We've started to figure out that there is a little more to this island than pasty-white tourists on Waikiki Beach (yeah, I know, WE still fall into that category right now). Besides familiarizing ourselves with the base amenities, our explorations thus far have taken us to several beautiful areas on the island.

The Eastern, or Windward side of the island, is really incredible. The H-3 (Oahu has three highways...numbered one through three) winds through a mountain valley and it is a really spectacular experience, leaving the drier, Western (or Leeward) side of the island, and all of a sudden being in what I can only describe as a rainforest. We went from sunny and 80 degrees to a misty rain and 70 degrees within seconds! I cannot even describe in words the beauty of the mountains here, especially those on the Windward side, with the clouds hovering just around the tops...AMAZING!! The rain didn't make for great picture weather, so I will post pictures of this area as soon as the weather cooperates.

Our second weekend here, we ventured out to the Diamond Head area and snorkeled Hanauma Bay. It was great! The water is a gorgeous, turquoise color and there are so many different colored fish and coral. It was a little cold...85 degrees outside, but a cloudy sky made it seem much cooler. We bought our own snorkeling equipment at the Navy Exchange, and with free admission for military to Hanauma Bay, we will certainly make snorkeling a regular activity in the Baker household. Still waiting for a sea turtle or whale sighting, though...

Side note on water creatures: the only thing I've seen in the water that was large enough to get really excited about was what I THOUGHT was a whale. Blaine and I were enjoying lunch on the water's edge at one of the base restaurants a few days after our arrival. The water's edge we were at was actually Pearl Harbor. As we are eating lunch, this large, whale-shaped thing appeared out of nowhere in the water...it was a SUBMARINE! Neither Blaine nor I have ever seen a submarine in real life, but there it was...just carrying on like no big deal! And I saw another one about a week later! Seriously?! It was pretty cool.

We also went to the farmer's market in Haleiwa last weekend. Haleiwa is a small, surfing town on the North Shore. Their farmer's market was a little smaller than Charleston's, but was still really neat. I love that everyone here is into eating healthy foods...it makes it so much easier for us to stick to a healthy diet. And the fresh pineapple is awesome!! There are several farmer's markets on the island, as well...we plan on visiting them soon. I really don't think the mountain views will ever get old...you can see them from the Haleiwa farmer's market! And did I mention our trip down memory lane?? This farmer's market has boiled peanuts, just like our beloved Charleston! Another thing that is really popular here is Hawaiian Shaved Ice. I'm sure you all have seen what I refer to as "snowcone stands" where you're from, but here, they are a BIG deal! I think it has something to do with all of the extras you can add to them...we just got plain, flavored ones...no weird toppings this time around.
Haleiwa is also where the infamous North Shore waves are found. I have to say that the North Shore is my favorite area so far. The waves are incredible and the beaches are not crowded at all! This might be attributed to the fact that you can't swim at some of the beaches because of the enormous waves. But what a gorgeous area!! And we also found some great Mexican food in Haleiwa with even greater margaritas! That's all I really need to be content. :)

And for those friends thinking of adding Hickam AFB to your wishlist of places to move to...I will say that the views from here are incredible! The base is so pretty...the streets are all lined with palm trees, you can see mountains from anywhere on base, and the private beach is wonderful! There's even a bar and grill on the beach so that you can enjoy a Mai Tai while you sunbathe. I think I could get used to this!

I have been writing this post in segments at a time...so much to share since I wrote the previous paragraph. I have been taking scuba diving classes this week and will be a certified diver on Sunday! More to come on that... AND, I think we found the perfect place to rent off-base while we're waiting for base housing...and I think you, our future guests, will find it as amazing as we do! DEFINITELY more on that in the near future. We just looked at it tonight, and if all goes well, we will move in soon!

You can bet on more pictures and updates soon. Miss and love you all!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!! So glad to hear more about your adventures there! I'm glad you guys are getting a little more settled in. We liked North Shore too - Hanauma Bay is where I went "cliff diving" off the huge rock in the bay. Did you guys go into the Nature Park there? We walked the 3/4 of a mile back to the waterfall pool, and it was really nice.
We miss you guys - can't wait to hear more about your time there! Also, Michelle T and Brandon welcomed Conner on Thursday night, if you hadn't heard (since I know you don't have facebook) :o)

Mary said...

Happy to get an update! It looks like you are adjusting well to your permanent vacation :-) Good job taking advantage of all the opportunities for adventure over there! Good luck on the rental!