Wednesday, January 27, 2010

We Made It!

We made it!! After many months of preparation, packing, and paperwork, we are now Oahu’s newest residents. And what an adventure it has been…

We began the moving process in August, right after receiving word that we would be relocating to Hawaii. Believe it or not, the most time consuming (and stressful) part of this move was not our household goods shipment…it beat us here by three days; it wasn’t our car shipment….it should be here in the next day or so; it was actually getting Blaze and Holly here! Hawaii is a rabies-free island, so they are very particular about whom they grant entry. I have devoted the last six months to making sure our dogs would be allowed on the island, with many visits to the vet and LOTS of paperwork (and money). I must also mention that the military vet in San Antonio, who was supposed to do the health certificates, informed us the day before our appointment (two days before we were to fly out) that they were not qualified to complete health certificates! That was fun. Thanks to my hometown civilian vet, who was AWESOME and scheduled us at the last minute, we got them done just in time. A couple of microchips, rabies vaccinations, blood tests, health certificates, and 30 hours of being cooped up in their kennels later…..AND our flight was delayed and our dogs showed up at the quarantine station in Hawaii AFTER HOURS. Huge disappointment! Normally, they would have had to spend the night there and undergo inspection the following morning. But, Blaine pleaded with the agent and she let them come home with us that day! Needless to say, we have been giving them extra loving after all they had to go through. Poor babies. All is well now, and they are sleeping peacefully as I write.

Our actual flights out here were very nice and didn’t seem as long as I thought they would be. Our first flight was from Austin to Sacramento…we upgraded the tickets to first-class. It was great. The dogs were under the seats in front of us while we sipped on our Bloody Mary’s and had a yummy lunch. It was during this flight that it really hit me. We were moving. And to a far-away place! I was overcome with emotion…reading Glenn Beck’s Christmas Sweater during this flight didn’t help things. I cried the ENTIRE flight. Blaine laughed while I tried to hide it…and I’m sure the other passengers were wondering what was wrong with the basket-case woman in seat 4A.

After a night at Travis AFB, CA (which I would recommend to anyone…nice place!), we headed to the passenger terminal to board our military-contract flight to Hawaii. Here, we also pleaded with the airmen on duty to let us carry Blaze and Holly on, but to no avail, they had to go in a separate compartment. I felt much better, though, when they reassured me that they were going to be in the same cabin, just separated from us by a wall. The DC-8 plane that we were on has a space for cargo in the front (near the cockpit) and seating in the back. The dogs went in the front instead of down below with the baggage, which was much more comforting. The flight attendants even checked on them and gave them water throughout the flight. Blaze charmed one of the flight attendants to the point that she wanted to take him home with her! Our flight was a Space-A flight, and most of the 32 passengers were retirees heading to Hawaii for vacation. They had lots of good advice for us, which was very nice. This flight was just like first-class; with meals, drinks, and plenty of leg room. Leaving the mainland and being over the Pacific made the move seem even more real and made me think about how much I already miss Charleston and my friends there. Cue the Bloody Mary’s again…I had SIX to ease my anxiety.

Arriving in Hawaii, I was overwhelmed with how gorgeous it is! I couldn’t believe the 80 degrees of tropical weather that hit me when I stepped off the plane. And the palm trees! They are much taller and tropical-looking than those in Charleston. I wasn’t expecting mountains either…but they’re here, too! It’s really amazing. I felt as though we were in St. Lucia on our honeymoon again. Our sponsor from the squadron met us at the airport and, as Hawaiian custom goes, presented us with leis. REAL leis! Mine was made out of beautiful, fragrant, fuschia-colored orchids and Blaine’s was made out of seashells, leaves, and kukui nuts (see picture at top). They’re not the cheap silk-flower ones I’m used to. I was very impressed! We spent our first two nights at Hotel Renew on Waikiki Beach. Very nice! And pet-friendly!! The hotel even provided a dog bed filled with treats, food, a dog bowl, and a magazine called Island Dog. We soaked up a few rays on Waikiki, had some P.F. Chang’s for dinner, did some people-watching…we came up with a new game which is very easy to play here. It’s simple…you get 10 points for every guy you see in a Speedo…20 points if he’s over 50! ;) Waikiki is very touristy and not my kind of place. We’re looking forward to seeing the rest of the island to figure out what Oahu is REALLY all about!

I’m writing from TLF now…our temporary lodging facility. It’s in a nice neighborhood on base, and very spacious. It has two floors, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, a dining room, and a kitchen. It’s okay for now…but we really can’t get settled here. The housing office told us they can guarantee us a brand new house on base…in AUGUST. In the meantime, we have to find something off-base. The good news is that the AF will move our things to base in August so we won’t have to worry about it this time! We are going to do some house-hunting and island-exploring (I promise to have more pictures posted) in the next few days. And who knows? We may like our place off-base so much that we won’t want to move back on base this summer. Either way, we will have a place for you to stay if you’d like to visit!!

And, now, for the most difficult part of all. I can’t finish this blog entry without writing about it. I miss my family! And I miss you girls in Charleston! I’m getting teary-eyed just thinking of you all. In all honesty, I’m crying like a big baby right now! Of course, I will see my family and friends in Texas again soon, which makes it a little easier being so far away from them. But I won’t see you girls nearly as often. I hate that I won’t be there to celebrate all of the upcoming births, or see my favorite little ones grow up. I know I will make new friends here, but you girls hold such a special place in my heart. I wish you could all be here with me…it’s the only thing that would make this the perfect assignment. I’m always really uneasy about starting something new…and THIS is NEW! And I know it will be fine. But it doesn’t make it any easier or make me miss any of you any less. I love you all so much!! I will keep in touch! And I hope to see you all again real soon...

6 comments:

Jill said...

ahhh JBake we miss you too! I got teary eyed ready this. Oh we got a puppy on Saturday so I need all the dog moving info too! Wow if you can get a new house in August wonder what that means if I can get us there in September!!
Miss you lots, Hugs to you and Blaine!

Stephanie. said...

Well, now I am crying too =( We miss you here, but are SOO excited for your adventure in Hawaii. Your warm spirit and big smiles will attract friends fast, and it will feel like home in no time. Hang in there through the early months, we all know how hard moving can be. The Allen family loves and misses y'all!

The Woodford Classic said...

Miss You Guys ... but excited for you. Love The Josephs

Unknown said...

Glad you guys made it there safe and thanks for keeping us updated. We will continue to live vicariously through you guys over the next few years. With lots of Love - The Browns (Tommy & Lauren)

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely!! I'm going to send you an email, because I want more details on the dog situation... moving ours is definitely one of my biggest stresses (esp. the LONG plane trips). Good luck finding a place, and if you do decide to rent until August, some friends of ours who moved to 3 different bases in the last year swear by www.vrbo.com (VRBO = Vacation Rentals By Owner). They were able to rent fully-furnished houses for months at a time using that site. I saw a couple of the places they stayed in and they were great!
We just went under contract to buy a house in Alaska!! We LOVE it, and I'll be putting up a post about that sometime in the next few days.
We miss you guys, and hope we get down there to see you soon - and if you need a break from the heat, you guys are welcome in Alaska ANYTIME. We have a guest room! ;o)

Unknown said...

One thing I know about all of us being AF families is that at some point we will see you again...and of course the blogs, facebook and emails will make the time pass quicker. We're a week away from C's due date and believe me, you're on the text list (so if you get a text at Oh-dark-thirty within the next week or so, it might be us). I wish you could meet him in person but if we get the base we want, we'll be pretty close to you guys and we'll def take advantage of the fact! Miss you/love you~MT