Monday, May 24, 2010

An Outdoor Weekend!

We were on the go this weekend, complete with two spearfishing outings and getting some much needed sun! And, yes, I made sure to have the camera on hand this time...

We headed out early Saturday morning to Ko'Olina, on the west side of the island. Ko'Olina is a very pretty resort area and a favorite spearfishing spot of Blaine and some of his fishing buddies. I actually took pictures that day with my old "point and shoot" camera...NO photo editing whatsoever. Yes, Hawaii really IS this beautiful! As I have done before, and said I would never do again :), I snorkeled while Blaine fished. And, once again, the visibility was poor due to high winds and waves and we couldn't see more than a few feet in front of us. I have never felt more like prey in my entire life...again, I caught myself instinctively wrapping my arms around my chest and abdomen, protecting my vital organs from nearby predators. If that doesn't just scream "fun"! And Blaine told me AFTERWARDS that a tiger shark is known to frequent that area. Awesome. I'm sure that shark was watching and stalking me the whole time. ;)

Since Blaine didn't catch anything Saturday, he headed out for more spearfishing on Sunday. He took a buddy with him this time, so I was able to hang out on the beach with the dogs and some friends. Hickam AFB has a beach just for dogs, which is a nice relief since most beaches in Hawaii do not allow dogs, not to mention this beach is just a two-minute drive from our house. We had a good time...Blaze and Holly seemed to enjoy it, maybe because they were very interested in and excited about all the other dogs there. Here are some pictures from our beach outing yesterday...


Blaze checking out the water


Holly smiling at the camera


This is Dog Beach...and one of Blaine's spearfishing spots. If you look really closely, between the two bushes, WAY out in the water, you can see a tiny speck. It's about 400 yards out. That speck is a cement platform that Blaine swims out to...the same place I swam to with him the first time we went spearfishing, when I swore I would never go again. :)


We saw another submarine while at Dog Beach. They come through here often because Pearl Harbor is just right around the corner...I think this area of the beach is technically in Pearl Harbor. Submarine sightings have become a regular occurrence, but it's still so cool every time we see one!


We made a new friend while at the beach...actually, I spent a lot of my time keeping the dogs AWAY from this new friend. Doesn't he look menacing?!



Hanging out on the beach, soaking up some rays!

Heading back from spearfishing...again, empty-handed.

We will be pretty busy over the next couple of weeks, gearing up for a short trip to Texas and Blaine's family visiting us here. With all the sightseeing we will do with Blaine's family, we should have plenty of pictures to post! Until then...

1 comment:

Stephanie. said...

Looks like a great weekend!! I am in constant amazement at the beauty of your new home! Makes the beaches of SC look a bit pitiful ;)