Determined to find a moose in Alaska...and I found one on the Air Force base! Actually, I had to slam on my breaks when I looked up to see him crossing the road in front of me. And then I desperately fumbled for my phone to capture this picture. :)
Here are some of the awesome things we saw and did...
Blaine and Angus getting ready to taxi toward the runway!
Hiking to Byron Glacier
Sun rays shining through an opening in Byron Glacier
I didn't even think about how dangerous it is to sit underneath a melting glacier!
Blaine, Jen, Michelle, and Howdy at the end of a gorgeous hike!
This is what the same view from the Turnagain Arm looks like when the tide is up!
Another week of shopping (I had to mail two boxes of stuff home), eating out (I wanted to try every restaurant that was recommended to me...and I think I succeeded), and having pumpkin spice lattes from every coffee shop in town (every day of my visit!)...and we come to my final weekend in Alaska. I spent Saturday with Howdy and Michelle while Blaine worked. We had breakfast together and spent ALL day hanging out in the cutest coffee shop near their home, engaged in great conversation. I really enjoyed my last day with our sweet friends! Thanks, Howdy and Michelle, for keeping me company and being great tour guides! I truly am thankful for our time spent together. :)
Alyeska Resort...if you look REALLY closely, you can see Seven Glaciers Restaurant at the very top of the mountain in the background.
After enjoying each other's company over a romantic dinner, overlooking the beautiful mountains and the resort...we had to check out the engine room! Yes, Blaine was SO intrigued by the tram that the operator offered to give us a tour of how it works. Isn't this how all of your date nights end?? ;)
This is a tree from Girdwood's "ghost forest"...during an earthquake, the ground sank, allowing saltwater to come in, which killed a lot of trees and left these reminders behind. Don't they look neat?
We really liked the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. We met this guy, among the rest of the elk, who was really rambunctious! He was charging at people and seemed to REALLY like the ladies in his pasture. ;) Such a stinker!
Two bears playing in the water
This caribou was just as mischievous as the elk...he kept charging at us, too.
This bald eagle was found with a bullet hole through his left wing, which had to be amputated. He seems to be enjoying life at the conservation center, though!
I took this picture of a huge glacier from the plane window on the way back home...so pretty!
We really enjoyed our Alaskan experience, and had a great time with old friends! What an amazingly beautiful place!! And I got my cold fix. ;)
3 comments:
That sounds like an awesome (and beautiful) time! I'm glad you got your cold fix too... fall is just not the same without it! =)
We definitely enjoyed spending time with you guys (and hope we didn't talk your ear off too much)!! Your pictures turned out beautifully, and just reminded me that I still haven't posted about the glacier hike! I need to get on that for sure!
WOW!! what an amazing trip and great pictures, too (those classes paid off)! ;o)
Post a Comment