Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

We have had an entire month of Halloween happenings! While we usually just celebrate the fall season in general, this year has been different, with all sorts of Halloween celebrations! And, oh, what fun we've had!!

Kicking off the eerie events of the month, another spouse and I hosted the October Spouses' Coffee at my home. We really ran with the Halloween theme...I spun cobwebs throughout my house, played spooky Halloween music, named our foods with funny Halloween names, and held a "favorite mask" contest where everyone showed up in a mask! It was such a great night, with 17 ladies partaking in our Halloween fun!

The 535 AS spouses in masks!

Our frightful food display!


Scary Halloween food names

Candy corn guessing game


Mask Contest

After the coffee, I spent the rest of October focusing on work and getting ready for Halloween. As some of you may know, I substitute teach at Assets High School, a private school that caters to students with learning exceptionalities, such as dyslexia and ADD. I LOVE this school! The kids are so great!! Of course, the Friday before Halloween was a day for costumes, tricks, and treats. I wasn't sure what I would dress up as, if anything at all (I was battling a cold so I wasn't feeling up to putting together a costume)...and then it came to me as I was getting ready that morning at 6:30 a.m. :) If you are a fan, a true fan, of The Office, then you'll know right away where the idea came from. Can you guess what I am??? The kids loved it!

FACEBOOK!

Saturday night before Halloween was the night we were all looking most forward to...our neighbors held a murder mystery dinner party at their home, and we all had roles to play while guessing who the murderer was! What a FUN night!! I played "Dr. Tillie Screams, the dentist", and Blaine played "Stretch, the butler"! I cannot explain in words or pictures how funny Blaine was and how well he played this part!! He intended to play the role with an English accent, but it somehow turned into an Australian one. Too funny.

Stretch, the butler, and Dr. Tillie Screams, the dentist! Please take note of the monocle Blaine HAD to have...it only took me ALL day to find one. ;) But it was SO worth it!


Our friends, Elizabeth and Nate...AKA Ivanna Bitiznek, a Romanian princess, and Harry Shearer, a "conflicted" hairdresser. :)

Our friends and neighbors, Jewlee and Mike...AKA Ann Angrimob, the local bar maid, and Vlad Tire, a passing motorist with a flat tire. Jewlee and Mike were also the hosts!

"Stretch" reads some of his lines to the party-goers


I just had to include this picture of some of the characters at the party!

The girls in costume!

"Tillie" and "Ivanna" enjoying the party!

"Vlad Tire", the MURDERER!

On Halloween night, we sat with our neighbors in the front yard of our building to hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters. We set our chairs up around our new firepit (purchased for this night in particular), brought out some drinks (adult treats), and waited with our bowls and baskets of candy! In past years, I haven't had much experience with a lot of trick-or-treaters, but we've never lived on a military base either! There were trick-or-treaters EVERYWHERE! We really enjoyed the night, saw some great costumes, and made smores on the firepit afterwards. A very fun Halloween, indeed!!

Blaine hands out candy to just one of the many waves of trick-or-treaters!

Enjoying our first Halloween in Hawaii!

Blaine helps our neighbor, Brodie, extinguish a flaming marshmallow while making smores!


What a great month it has been with so many fun Halloween celebrations! I hope all of you had a very Happy Halloween!! :)

4 comments:

Emily Steinfort said...

I see you have found my old squadron buddy/swim team mate, Nate! Y'all looked like you had an amazing party! I'm thinking we are going to hold off on our "Naughty party" until we know the neighbors more!

Jennifer Baker said...

Ha ha, yes, Nate and Elizabeth are dear friends of ours! I think you should have your annual "Naughty or Nice" party...it will be a good time to weed out the not-so-fun neighbors! ;)

Jill said...

Looks like you guys had a great month! The mystery party looked fabulous, and so did you! See you soon :)

kaceyleigh said...

i love your pumpkin & your Halloween face paint!