Friday, June 24, 2011

Back Home Again...

I couldn't agree more, Sam Houston! I normally keep my Texas pride suppressed...until we go home for a visit. Then it's game-over. We recently spent 10 days in Texas, primarily visiting for my sister's wedding, but we also made a nice vacation out of our trip!

My sister, Andie, married our new brother-in-law, Josh, on June 11th! After adjusting to the time difference of five hours (I'm not sure we ever adjusted since we slept in until 10 every day!), we jumped right into the wedding activities. The wedding day was wonderful! The weather was gorgeous and Andie looked beautiful!! Everything went off without a hitch and I got to see many friends and family that I haven't seen in quite some time. Congrats to Andie and Josh! We love you!!

After we saw the newlyweds off on their honeymoon, we were ready to relax and enjoy Austin! Growing up just 30 minutes outside of this gorgeous city, you would think I would have seen all there is to see. I guess I took this amazing city for granted while I was there, but I was now ready to be a tourist and show Blaine around, as well.

We checked out the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum...very nicely done! This museum is beautiful and we really enjoyed learning about the history of Texas (no, I didn't pay much attention when learning it in grade school), from the first encounters with Native Americans to Texas' role in WWII. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that we didn't finish the entire museum, so I sweet-talked the museum worker into giving us tickets to come back the next day for free!



Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum...beautiful!


Original sketch of our flag and seal!



This "Texas" sign once stood outside of an old theater...thankfully, the sign was salvaged before the theater was demolished.


After our second trip to the museum, we also stopped at the LBJ Library, located on the University of Texas campus (right across from one of my favorite landmarks..the Longhorns' stadium!). This university library is unique, having three floors dedicated to President Lyndon Baines Johnson. LBJ actually went to my alma mater, Southwest Texas State University, but UT offered him a better deal to put his name on their library! It was really interesting reading about his life, his presidency, and his wife, Lady Bird, who seems to have been quite the gracious hostess and all-around good person.



LBJ Library...Blaine was really intrigued with the building design. I thought it made for an interesting picture!


After our museum tour, we switched gears and checked out some other Austin gems. Our first stop on this leg of our tour was to check in at the historic and absolutely gorgeous Driskill Hotel! I've always known about The Driskill, but thought it was too expensive based on the appearance and amazing location on 6th Street. But that was before military discounts... :)

The Driskill Hotel...no, this isn't even the front door, although it's pretty enough to be!


Awesome location on the corner of 6th and Brazos! I could see our favorite bar from the hotel!

Front of The Driskill

Is this not the prettiest hotel ever?!? I highly recommend staying here!


Our next stop was my favorite...The Library! This is the cute little bar where Blaine and I met for the first time more than six years ago. The Library will always hold a special place in my heart...and we are living proof that you CAN meet quality people in a bar (depending on your definition of "quality")! ;)



My favorite picture of all time...I think I'll frame this one. Thank you, Hipstamatic App for iPhone!! And Allison, for the recommendation on getting this app!


Another awesome place in Austin is Congress Avenue. Yep, this is just a street that leads to the state Capitol...but if you travel away from the Capitol, you're in for a real treat (not that our gorgeous pink granite and limestone Capitol isn't a treat)! First, the Congress Avenue Bridge, which is just a bridge, holds something underneath that is so unique and special to Austin. Here, you will find the largest urban colony of Mexican free-tail bats in all of North America...1.5 million of them!! And they put on a show every night, flying out at dusk to feed for the evening. Further south down Congress, there's a great area known as SoCo (South Congress)...super cute, with boutiques, antique shops, and yummy restaurants! I could spend a lot more time in this area, and plan to do so on our next trip home.


Looking back at the Capitol from South Congress. Elizabeth, this one's for you...just look at the street sign!



Torchy's Tacos in SoCo...yes, they really ARE damn good tacos. I have to give this one to Blaine; he picked the spot and I wanted to go somewhere else. Glad he won that one!


Another oddity in SoCo...a bunch of gourmet lunch wagons! And some of them made the "top restaurants in Austin" list! I've never seen anything quite like it. I love Austin. ;)


Despite the triple digit temperatures all 10 days we were there, we had such a blast!! Andie and Josh's wedding was wonderful (I hope to have pictures to post soon) and we loved our tour of Austin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys had a great trip back to Texas! I read Howdy your post and it made both of us miss Austin! :o)

Lauren Chestnutt Coburn said...

ive never been to texas! this makes me want to go ever more! i am hoping that a true texan (like you or MM) will go with me one day! ;o) glad you had a fun trip! and congratulations to your sister!