I was watching the news a few days ago when a story caught my eye. The Down Syndrome Ohana ("family" in Hawaiian) of Hawaii was featured taking a trip to a local farm to pick vegetables. Before I get into this story, let me give you some background on me...I worked at a preschool and after-school learning center for two years right out of college. The first year, I was a preschool teacher, and the second year, the director of the entire facility! One student there, Sterling, has Down Syndrome and stole my heart from our first meeting. It was such a pleasure for me to hear about his day at school, talk with him, laugh with him, and just become friends over those two years. I let him address the learning center children and staff regularly...he wore a staff shirt with the rest of the adults as he was 20 years old ;), listened to and comforted him as he cried and talked about bullies at school, and smiled as he talked about his sweet girlfriend, whom he is married to today! Sterling taught me many lessons of love, caring, and acceptance...he has and always will hold a special place in my heart!
Naturally, I am now drawn to children with Down Syndrome and think that they have the biggest hearts of all the children I meet. I have been searching for a volunteer opportunity for quite some time, so I thought the DSO of Hawaii would be perfect! I sent an email, asking if they would like extra help, and I got an email back the very next morning! My first opportunity would come in just one day...a luau-style dinner for their guests of honor. I took a look at the flyer they sent me, only to nearly drop my computer when I saw the guests of honor were Lauren Potter (Becky from Glee) and her mother!! Some more background on me...I LOVE GLEE and am a huge GLEEK! :)
Upon arrival at the DSO dinner, I met so many wonderful people (most of them Hawaiian), was greeted with big hugs, smiles, and lots of kisses!! They made me feel like part of the family right away. :) I helped prepare the meal and get everything ready for the evening, it was so much fun! And then Lauren and her mom showed up...and I was star-struck!! I went to say hi to Lauren and, in my nervousness, called her Becky. ;) She was the sweetest girl, I just loved spending time with her! There were about 100 guests, mostly parents with their children who have Down Syndrome. I think my heart was in a state of melting and my eyes on the brink of tears all night long; the children were just amazing. There was a luau dancer, who performed for everyone, at which point a little girl with Down Syndrome joined her and danced, too...totally not planned and made everyone choke back tears. Lauren spoke to everyone, with inspirational words on chasing their dreams, fighting bullying, and also fighting the "R" word. I wish each of you who is reading this could have been there to hear her wise and kind words. She and her mother are using her fame as a platform, speaking all over the country, to bring attention to bullying, education for children with special needs...and they want everyone to eradicate the "R" word, a word we all should know better than to use anyway!
Lauren showing off the "Glee sign"! Can you tell I'm having a great time?!
At the end of the night, Lauren gave me an autographed picture, a big hug, and the DSO of Hawaii thanked me for all my help...at which point I thanked THEM for this amazing experience. I am the one who gained more than I gave last night!
2 comments:
Awesome! Way to go, Jen, on being an avid volunteer. The world needs more people like you in it!
i do not watch glee... but i do enjoy lauren's commercial. :o) what an amazing experience!
Post a Comment