Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama...

It's a pretty catchy tune, you can go ahead and sing it!

I can't even count how many times I've driven through this state on the long trek from Charleston, South Carolina to Austin, Texas. Alabama was our "half-way point" and where we stayed the night on most trips. I didn't pay much attention to it then...but I should have! We just found out Blaine will be attending Air Command and Staff College in good 'ole Montgomery next August! Come July, we will make Montgomery, Alabama our new home for about a year or so. Of course, this is a bittersweet time as we have made Hawaii our home and love it here...what an amazing island rich in history and culture! While I'm sad to leave paradise and the wonderful friends we've made on this journey, I'm really excited about this new adventure and the pros that come along with it...

1. We will be within ONE day's drive of BOTH of our families and LOTS of close friends!

2. We will be back in the South...I love the South. :)

3. We will have somewhat normal fall and winter weather...it's just not the same sipping pumpkin spice lattes when it's 85 degrees outside.

4. Charleston and Austin, two of my most favorite cities, are only a day's drive away.

5. We can watch college football (Clemson and Texas) again as I'm sure it will be televised in Alabama much more than it is in Hawaii! And the games will be shown at normal times and not at 5 a.m.!!

6. I will have access to real shopping (and fave restaurants) again...I can't wait! I've already researched the area for a Hobby Lobby, a Home Goods store, Potterybarn, Chick-fil-a, and Olive Garden. These are all things I never knew I'd miss so much until living thousands of miles from them! My first stop will be Hobby Lobby, followed by lunch at Chick-fil-a.

7. Above all, perhaps the top pro is that Blaine has been given this opportunity to attend school...something we are so very grateful for! Thank you, Air Force, for being so generous to us.

So, Alabama, here we come! We look forward to seeing where this chapter in life takes us. What else does this all mean for YOU? Our time in Hawaii is quickly dwindling down...we hope you'll find the time to visit us and enjoy all that this amazing island has to offer!

5 comments:

Jill said...

*sniffle sniffle* Now I get to be jealous of you going back to the south! WE NEED A GIRLS DAY SOON!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you Blaine from Howdy and I!! And yay for being right between both families - and knowing where you're going! Miss you guys!! :o)

Unknown said...

Where the skies are so blue! Congrats!!! So many old Charleston friends are now moving on to their second assignment since we all called Charleston home... time flies! I can't wait to hear about what Bama holds for the Bakers!

Lauren Chestnutt Coburn said...

Congratulations! How exciting! :o)

J. Todd Self said...

Hey! And don't forget you have some friends already in the area! Todd, Regina, and Maddie (whom you won't recognize at all). I currently work on Maxwell and we live in Prattville, so if you need local info, don't hesitate! I would of course recommend you guys live in Prattville ;-)

Todd Self