...of pork tenderloin, black-eyed peas, collard greens, and cornbread today. Our good luck meal means one thing...it's a new year! Which also means I'm feeling a bit anxious today for all that 2012 will bring.
Today is January 1st. We will be leaving Hawaii in July. That's SIX MONTHS away! I know from previous moving experiences that six months will FLY by in the blink of an eye. And I'm kind of freaking out about that today. I'm not sure why it just hit me today, but it has, and now I'm thinking of all the things I want to do in the next six months. Rather than make resolutions that I know I won't keep ;), I'm making a list of things that will make me feel I have enjoyed Hawaii and won't leave this beautiful state with any regrets...
1. I changed my blog background to a "beachy" one...I figure I should enjoy this background while I still live at the beach. :)
2. I want to revisit some of the other islands. We've been to Kauai, the Big Island of Hawaii, and Maui. However, I don't feel that we enjoyed all there is to offer on each of these! So, I'm thinking some long weekend trips and perhaps a Spring Break island-hop is in order. We also have yet to set foot on Niihau, Molokai, or Lanai, but we have seen them from afar.
3. I would like to travel to one (or ALL) of the following: New Zealand, Australia, Fiji, Bora Bora, Tahiti, and this list goes on and on. Maybe in June? After I'm done with school and our household goods are long gone?? So many places to see...and so little time to see them!
4. I have 87 teaching days left. A couple of weeks ago, I would have sighed at the thought of having SO many days left. But, the new year (and much needed break) has provided a nice reset for me and I now see this number as ONLY 87 days left to shape, mold, and leave an impression on these awesome kids who deserve love, patience, and more patience. ;) If I set any resolution, it will be to take deep breaths and remember that these kids are LEARNING and it's my job to TEACH them to be the people I want to associate with in the real world. I also hold the great responsibility of leading them to a love (or, at least, something beyond a hatred) for science and math, as these kids have the potential to do great things for future generations!
5. I want to enjoy Hawaii's beaches, culture, people, cuisine, and music every chance that I get...I've become desensitized to hearing "aloha" and "mahalo", but I know I'll miss this dearly when it's no longer at my fingertips. The Hawaiian people are among the friendliest we have ever met. Sure, there are bad people and areas...but bad people and areas exist everywhere! The Hawaiian/local people have been wonderful to us because we have been respectful and kind to them. I'm not sure how some of the military community has come to the conclusion that "Hawaiians don't like military people"...what an unfortunate stereotype. This assignment is so much more than living in paradise, enjoying Mai Tais on the beaches, and wearing shorts year round...it's about embracing another culture and keeping an open mind while learning about something bigger than you. And that's what I plan to continue to do for the next six months! I'm going to miss the kama'aina!
6. I also want to enjoy quality time with the amazing friends we have here. I never thought Hawaii would feel like a home to me, especially when we were living in TLF, had no friends, and I was crying and missing my Charleston friends (whom I STILL love and miss dearly)! Now, I know I'll have the same reaction as we fly back over the Pacific to a new home. Okay, I'm done thinking about that for now...
7. Lastly, I want to slow down...I want to savor each moment of each day, no matter how small it is. I went to the beach for the first time in MONTHS recently and just laid there, ran my fingers through the sand, and soaked up that day along with some sun. As I cleared my mind and just thought of what a blessed life we live, I felt a rush of happiness run through me. I want to feel that every day...so I must slow down to feel those moments and to take those opportunities to give thanks.
And with that, I wish you all a blessed and happy 2012!
happy 12 months, eliza...
8 years ago
2 comments:
Happy New Year! :o) (I am mailing you your giftcard tomorrow... sorry for being slack! ;o) We normally make a traditional meal for New Years but Z wanted to switch it up this year. ;o) I cant wait to hear about your adventures in Alabama! And enjoy your last months on Hawaii. Very exciting all the way around! As much as I LOVE Alaska and being here now... there is always that tiny let down that we dont have an assignment to look forward to anytime soon. ;o) (but I do absolutely love it here and have no desire to leave anytime soon!)
I can not believe it is already time for you to leave the island. it seems like just yesterday we were downtown looking for dining out gowns together. I have missed you so much, and it is so nice to get caught up in your life on your blog. I hope to hear from you soon. ~Jennifer~
Post a Comment