Friday, April 27, 2012

Hot Air Balloon Baby Shower

When I recently took on planning a baby shower for a dear friend, Ashley, I asked her what she was interested in so that I could get an idea of where we wanted to go with the theme.  After getting her input, we decided on a hot air balloon theme, of which was a bit out of my comfort zone as I had never seen a party with that theme.  Little did we know that this would turn into one of the most beautiful showers any of us had ever seen!  :)

We had a lot going for us to begin with, which made this the perfect event!  First, I got to work with an AWESOME team of ladies who brought their A-games in every way.  Many thanks to Allison R, Elizabeth A, Lana P, Lauren K, and Lauren R for the time they spent planning, decorating, and preparing food...and tolerating my OCD tendencies!  ;)  Second, we scored THE PERFECT venue!  After taking a "field trip" around Hickam AFB to scope out the possible shower locations, we decided there was only one place that could offer the ambience we envisioned...our Wing Commander's backyard and lanai!  Now, three of our husbands, including Ashley's, work for our Wing Commander, so I felt comfortable asking him and his wife if they would entertain the idea.  We were beyond thrilled when they happily agreed and were honored to help!  Many thanks to them!!  As Allison put it, she felt as though someone just accepted her proposal for marriage when they said yes!  I agree, HA!



This venue was the perfect setting and MADE for a magical and whimsy baby shower!  And the covered lanai provided some relief to the unexpected Hawaiian shower that decided to show up.  ;)


3D hot air balloons cut with Allison's cutting machine and glued together.

We asked guests to bring their baby photos for a fun game of "guess who"...photos were displayed on a burlap-covered board with twine and tiny clothespins!


Guests left sweet thoughts of encouragement and words of advice on hot air balloon and cloud shapes.  These, along with pictures from the shower, will be put into a scrapbook for Ashley.


We tied ribbon around mason jars and added these pretty paper straws for the drinks.  I just love these colors together!


Our lovely food spread...backed by an awesome fabric swag created by Allison and Lana!


Lauren R ordered yummy cupcakes from Hokulani Bake Shop...they recently won Cupcake Wars on The Food Network!!  Allison made these adorable food labels, which added such a nice touch to our tables.


All of our hard work paid off for THIS reaction!  :)


Isn't Ashley gorgeous?!  Lauren K presented her with a fresh flower lei that coordinated with our shower colors.

Love this girl!!  :)



Allison cut letters so spell "BABY BAIZE" and attached them to twine with tiny clothespins...adorable!  And you can see the board that we displayed the baby photos on in the background, too.



An amazing team of ladies!  Jen, Lana, Allison, Lauren R, Elizabeth, Lauren K, and, of course, Ashley, in front!


We had a great turn out of about 35 ladies!


Allison suggested a fun impromptu game...we wrote some of the phrases down as Ashley exclaimed them while opening gifts.  Then, I read them back to everyone...but this time, thinking of them being said when Baby Baize was conceived.  HILARIOUS!!


Ashley poses with her shower sign...she had such a great time!


Allison made these adorable chocolate hot air balloons from candy molds for guests to take as favors...they were such a hit!


So incredibly cute!  :)

We had so much fun hosting this shower I didn't want it to end!  Most importantly, our goal was achieved...to make Ashley feel like the most beautiful, special, and loved girl in the world that day.  I'm glad to have been a part of something so memorable for her.  Love you, sweet friend!

2 comments:

Jill said...

It was a beautiful shower. You girls did a wonderful job and I felt lucky just to be a guest.

Lauren Chestnutt Coburn said...

I am just catching up! How amazing was this shower?!?!? Way to go! We need to catch up!