Why am I beginning this entry with something so silly? Well, this is what my students found on our weekly agenda board when they walked into class this week! Notice that there are five lines to this rhyme..just as there are five days of the week to fill with activities. Convenient, huh? Yes, it is pig dissection week. While somewhat insensitive of me to describe our weekly activities this way, most of my students got a good laugh out of it. I wasn't sure how excited I would be about this, but it has turned out to be okay. I remember dissecting animals in high school..I think I had to do a worm, a frog, a pig, and a cat! Apparently, my high school teachers liked cutting things up. I didn't particularly enjoy doing this back then..in fact, I remember having to go out and get fresh air throughout the process.
So, back to my class today! I have been teaching the human biology unit this semester, including the nervous system, circulatory system, respiratory system, excretory system, digestive system, and endocrine system. My cooperating teacher was nice enough to teach the reproductive system before I took over! Pig dissection serves to bring all of these concepts togeth
er so that the students can see where everything is in relation to one another and how they function as a whole in the organism. It has been amazing to see them make connections and understand things that I have taught them...they REALLY get it, which makes me feel as though I have done my job..successfully! I can almost see the light bulbs coming on above their heads!! It's great. Now I know what it feels like...that feeling of "wow, I'm a teacher and these kids are learning from ME"! This feeling makes everything else so worth it..and it's what I would explain to anyone who tells me that I've lost my mind when I tell them what I do.
So, back to my class today! I have been teaching the human biology unit this semester, including the nervous system, circulatory system, respiratory system, excretory system, digestive system, and endocrine system. My cooperating teacher was nice enough to teach the reproductive system before I took over! Pig dissection serves to bring all of these concepts togeth
2 comments:
mmm.... pig juice. haha.
We dissected a bullfrog, pig, cat, and baby shark in high school biology. I always liked it. :o)
Ha! I didn't really like it in high school..but I think it's great now that I see how much the students get out of it. They really are learning SO much..even the ones who never do anything in class. I am getting sich of the smell, though!
Post a Comment