One of the many perks of being married to Blaine, in addition to him just being awesome, is that I get to participate in spouse flights! I even got to dress up like Blaine, in a flightsuit with a name patch and all. I ordered two patches...one says "Mrs. Baker" and the other says "J-Bake". The base coordinates this flight and invites all of the spouses in the Ops Group to fly on a C-17, so that we can experience what our husbands do at work each day.After being "briefed on our mission", we boarded the plane and took off over the Charleston coastline. But before that, we got t
o experience what it's like when our husbands' planes break and the mission doesn't go exactly as planned...we changed planes twice because of mechanical issues! We then flew over Georgia and North Carolina, where we were invited into the cockpit to experience air refueling at its best. Air refueling is just what it sounds like...another plane gets RE
ALLY close to the C-17 and gives it fuel! I can't believe my husband actually knows how to do this..it looks so tricky! Way to go, sweetie! After what I believe was an amazing feat, we landed at the practice air field near Columbia, SC for lunch and a C-17 demonstration.
After enjoying lunch and the company of good friends...and finding a deeper appreciation for our husbands after wearing those flightsuits in the heat...we returned to the planes and headed back home to Charleston. What a fun day it was!!
2 comments:
Looks like a ton of fun! How special that you got an up close view of what Blaine does everyday! Maybe you should get him into the classroom for a glimpse of your world;)
Ha Ha! I already have a visit to my old classroom in the plans for when he gets home! :)
Post a Comment