Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Run, J-Bake, Run!!

Goal achieved! I can check off another box on my "things to do in Charleston before the Air Force moves us again" list! On April 4th, I participated in the 32nd Annual Cooper River Bridge Run. This 10K race begins in Mt. Pleasant and continues across the gorgeous Ravenel Bridge, and through downtown Charleston, coming to a finish in Marion Square Park.

After waking up at 4:00 a.m., I met some fellow runners and friends at Michelle H's house, and we were on our way to the race by 5:30 a.m.! We had quite a group of squadron members and spouses running in the race, although most of them were closer to the start because they were "runners". I, along with Michelle T and Rachel K, were further back because we were "jog/walkers". The race started at 8:00 a.m. and we were off! We did a great job keeping a good pace and only walked to take small "breaks". Of course, we stopped for pictures, too! We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day..about 70 degrees with clear, blue skies!! The run was great, but the views were even better. I am truly blessed to live in such a beautiful place, and I couldn't help but think of that while I was running. How grateful I am to be here...not just living in Charleston, but just where I am in my life in general. While I was running down King Street, I had an overwhelming and emotional feeling of being so thankful for all that I have been blessed with. Not only do we live in a vacation spot; I enjoy teaching my students, we have made such great friends here, and I have an amazing husband!
As we neared the finish line, there were so many people cheering us on and telling us how proud they were of us...which was awesome! That, too, made me emotional and proud of myself for getting out and doing the race. We finished the race at 1:33:35...not as great as the Ethiopian who won it in 28 minutes, but pretty good! We met up with our group in Marion Square and walked down to Mad River Bar and Grill, where we enjoyed a much-needed lunch and mimosas! What a great day...and oh, how I enjoyed my four-hour nap that afternoon!!