Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas...and on to New Year's! WHEW!

Whoa...I'm thinking it's time to update the blog seeing that my last post is titled "Happy Halloween"! Where on earth did November and December go?? I tell myself every year that I am not going to let the holidays slip by so quickly...but they seem to anyway, despite my best efforts. We do have lots of great memories and pictures from the last two months, with all kinds of celebrations! Here is a recap of what the Bakers have been up to lately, beginning with the most recent events...

We celebrated Christmas this year with my family, who traveled to be with us here in Hawaii! My Mom and Dad; sisters, Andie and Cassandra; and future brother-in-law, Josh spent the last eight days doing a lot of sight-seeing, soaking up rays on the beach, and, of course, celebrating Christmas! We had such a great time!!

Family picture on the Southern coastline of Oahu


Another family photo at the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau


My parents also celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary while in Hawaii...the luau staff asked that all couples celebrating an anniversary come up to dance!

Blaine opens one of his gifts on Christmas morning...a really cool propane tank gauge! We'll never run out of propane while grilling again! :) Thanks, Mom and Dad!


Blaine got me a new backpack for my camera! Thanks, sweetie!


Dad, Mom, and Cassandra open up some giftcards! It's much easier to pack giftcards than gifts. ;)


Andie and Josh show off their giftcards to some places they are registered for their wedding!


Andie collects some sand and seashells for friends back in Texas.


Our Christmas tree...Oahu did not run out of trees this year, but we got this one as soon as we could, just in case!


Our Christmas cards, tied to garland! Thanks, Mom, for this great idea!


I made our wreath out of the trimmings from our Christmas tree!


We had a gingerbread house-making party at my friend, Elizabeth's house. I turned mine into a "mandle factory". Ever heard of a mandle?? Well, maybe not, since Blaine coined the phrase one night...he was telling us about bubble baths and that it's okay for a man to light candles for his bubble bath...a man candle...or a MANDLE, if you will! We all just about fell to the floor with laughter... :)

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, we managed to squeeze in a beer tasting party, which was also a celebration of Blaine's 33rd birthday! Behold...the Baker Beer Bash of 2010! Note: this WILL be an annual event...and you all can help hold us to that now that I have broadcasted this on the blog!


The prizes awarded to those who won the beer tasting...congrats to Trent and Brian!!

Blaine mans the grill and makes yummy beer brats!


Keeping with the theme of the party, all of the food was made with beer...even the cupcakes! Have you ever had a chocolate-spiced Guinness cupcake?? YUM!

Let the tasting begin!

Can't have a beer tasting without a game of cornhole!

Jen and Meghan enjoying the firepit.

We spent Thanksgiving here at home, with friends who also stayed "on island" for the holiday. Our friends, Nate, Elizabeth, Brian, and Christina joined us at our house for a Thanksgiving feast, each family contributing different dishes. We dubbed the celebration "Super Thanksgiving Extravaganza Bonanza Blowout 2010"...the name was given after the the mai tais mentioned in the next section. :) Before eating dinner, we all shared thoughts on what we were thankful for...it was very nice!


Elizabeth and I brined the turkey...but our bag sprung a leak! How ridiculous does this look?!?

Blaine carves the yummy turkey!

Our Thanksgiving feast!

The weekend prior to Thanksgiving, we joined some friends on a Mai Tai Sunset Catamaran cruise in Honolulu...so much FUN!!


Getting ready to board the cataraman on Waikiki Beach!

Everyone enjoyed the cruise...and the mai tais!

An artistic take on a sunset picture...did I mention there were unlimited mai tais?? ;)


I'll wrap up this blog entry with Blaine's birthday celebration...we had cake and icecream right before he went on a short TDY. I made him his favorite...red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting!


Blaine blows out his candles while the neighbor kids eagerly await some cake!

Happy Birthday, Blaine...I love you so much!!

With 2011 right around the corner, I would like to take a little moment to express how thankful I am for the wonderful life I live with my amazing husband, the awesome friends who have made Hawaii more like home for us, the cherished friends we left behind on the mainland but think of often and miss more than you'll ever know, and our loving families who we are so grateful for!! We are truly blessed and words can't express how much we love each and every one of you. We hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and wish everyone a blessed new year! Happy 2011!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that first family picture! The beer tasting sounds fun, and I see you got to use your cupcake stand! ;o) Happy belated birthday to Blaine!! Hope you guys have a great New Years!

kaceyleigh said...

a few thoughts...
~i LOVE the garland of Christmas cheer! i'm gonna have to use that idea next year.
~Mandle = hilarious.
~Guiness cupcakes? yes please.
~i'm so glad you took a picture of the USPS tape-clad turkey. that's one of those things you would always wish you had a picture of if you'd forgotten to take one.
~the artsy sailboat photo of you and Blaine is great!
(and yes, i am scrolling back through the post on a different tab, to make sure i don't forget anything. long posts deserve long comments.)
Happy New Year Bakers!

THE BRADES said...

It's so good to hear from you and that you guys are happy and doing well! We miss you here too!! Brad and I will have to make a trip out to Hawaii in 2012 to see you guys =)so, until then, Have a happy new year Jen and Blaine!!!

Rachel said...

It looks like you guys are having so much fun and Baker residence? Party central! :) You always have been great hosts! We miss you guys and I am so glad to see you looking so happy. Your post made me smile so many times including (but not limited to!) the "mandle" and taped up Thanksgiving turkey bag. :) and I love your family picture on the rocks by the water. Ah... Can't we come back and visit again.... Like, tomorrow?!