Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hidden Beach

We checked out a new beach yesterday...Hidden Beach. So named because you have to navigate some pretty rough dirt roads to get there and the beach is located on the very Northwestern tip of Oahu. It's not the easiest beach to access so they're aren't many people hanging out there. The boys wanted to check out the spearfishing, while we girls were happy just laying out on the beach. I was ready for a nice, relaxing beach day with beautiful scenery all around. What I DIDN'T expect was to see THIS cute little guy...



A Hawaiian Monk Seal!! I've only seen one other seal on Oahu while we were checking out a rental house on the North Shore over a year ago. They are much more rare than turtle sightings and I didn't have a camera the first time. Thankfully, I had the trusty iPhone this time and snapped away!

I have a thing for monk seals...I think they are among the most adorable animals...perhaps because they have sweet little faces and look so huggable (not allowed by state law, by the way)...




...or perhaps it's the striking resemblance between the monk seal and our dog, Blaze. You have to know Blaze to understand...they have the same facial features and, especially, rotundness to their bodies. I may or may not have had Blaze pose for this picture. ;)


Can't check out a new beach without trying out the fishing!


Looking down South from the Northwest point of Oahu


Enjoying the view from the most western point on Oahu!



By the way, none of these pictures were taken with a zoom lens or altered...I really DID get that close to my new monk seal friend! :)

3 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my, I do see the resemblance! Glad you guys had a great relaxing day.

Lauren Chestnutt Coburn said...

blaze the monk seal! quite a difference in weight though. ;o) did he have his surgery yet?

The Updikes said...

Great pictures Jen!