Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oh, The Joys of Random Meltdowns

Well, I have decided I can no longer shop at World Market. About a month ago, I bought a coffee and end table set there, but decided I don't like them and should return them. Well, since then, I have had to cancel my debit card (long story involving a phishing website) and am waiting for the new one to arrive. I thought today would be a good day to try and re-load these heavy tables into my car and take them back to the store. Thankfully, I thought to call the store first, to make sure they could do the return by just looking up my card information in the computer. Well...apparently, it's not that easy. They have to have the card to do the return..or my other option is to get a gift card for the amount. Now, I like to shop, but what am I going to do with a $200 gift card to World Market? I'm sure I could spend it over time, but that's not the point. The store should, in my opinion, be able to override this and just give me my money back! I tried to calmly explain this to the guy on the phone, but he wasn't in a patient mood, which just escalated the situation. He finally told me that I could bring everything in and he would "see what he could do", but he couldn't make any guarantees. Long story, short..I had a meltdown on the phone, started crying, and explained to him that it isn't so easy for me to just load these things up without a husband at home to help me..since he's deployed! Yes, I played the "deployment" card, which I try not to do..unless I'm caught in an emotional situation (like yesterday when I got pulled over by Security Forces on base)! Another story for another day...agghh! World Market guy's response to my meltdown.."I don't know what's going on in your life, but I apologize and feel for your situation." Great, just great. The point is..deployments seem to cause random meltdowns, which aren't very much fun. This is only the second one I've had, the first involved a rude man at the post office who hassled me when I was trying to send Blaine his first care package. Again, another story for another day. Fellow AF spouses, please tell me this is normal!! So, I share with you my story of not-so-much-fun meltdowns..and the fact that "Todd" at World Market thinks I'm crazy.

UPDATE: I was able to return the tables to World Market after USAA informed me that my card would still be activated for a short period of time until I get my new card, so the refund posed no problems! I have also decided that I will continue to shop at World Market (they have some really neat stuff) since I enjoy going there and because Todd has no idea who I am or what I look like. By the way, there was no sign of my new friend, Todd, but I did tell the clerk what happened. Get this...Todd is the STORE MANAGER!! You have got to be kidding me...

5 comments:

Stephanie. said...

Hang in there, Jen, and rest assured that these meltdowns are completely normal! Hope to see you soon.

Jennifer Baker said...

HA HA! Good to know. Maybe I just won't ask for Todd when I make the return so that I will still be able to shop there! I wonder what Todd would think if he know he was the subject of an entire blog entry?!

Anonymous said...

Most definitely normal... Mine always seem to revolve around something going on with the dogs though - like today when I had to take off work to take Jackson to the vet. :o(

VBartholomew said...

Oh, it's completely normal! You play that "deployment card" as many times as you need to, most people aren't as hard-headed as Todd is and ease off when they hear that. Hang in there!

Michelle said...

too funny, no worries. meltdowns are normal...call me next time and we can have a good cry together!